Old
05-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
41 games

It's tough to gauge if this would work. Yes a lot of people love hockey there, but how many are still bitter about the team leaving in the first place? How many became Habs fans and would switch back? How many would accept an English-speaking owner (yes it sounds stupid but this is Quebec)?

Another big problem is TV rights. Who is going to pick up all the Quebec games? Will they have them on PPV like the Sens and Canucks? RDS surely won't carry two teams, especially rivals. If you can watch 82 Habs games for free on RDS who will actually pay to see this new team on PPV?

Merchandise is a problem too. Who outside of Quebec City will buy anything related to this team? Remember, this is a relatively small market compared to a lot of teams out there.

Sure you can be passionate about owning a team, but from a business standpoint I don't see how it would work as well as he thinks it will.
True, 41games, me was drunk

But Im not worried about the fanbase, people in Qc are craving hockey, they would support this team as soon as it sees the day.
And if Balsillie actually brought a team back, i think id be looked at as a King over there.

There's no way in hell they would make the games go on PPV. With the success RDS has had since the lockout, SRC is shooting itself in the arse for letting hockey go. They have been trying to get it back.

Im pretty sure any TV station would jump at the chance of having exclusive coverage rights, whether its SRC or TQS.

To be honest, there are other cities already in the NHL that are way less marketable than a Qc team. Who buys stuff from Phoenix? or Florida?..etc..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote