View Single Post
Old
05-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Chris Nilan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I think Detroit has had unusual foresight in drafting Europeans. IMO their European scouts are the best in the NHL. Besides Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg the Red Wings have Kronwall, Holmstrom, Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Kopecky, and Samuelsson (and not a single Québécois, I may add).
Um, I'd like to dispell the myth of Detroit's draft magic, which has gotten to be about as self-perpetuating despite the presence of contradictory evidence as the grit question:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr000034.html

The big time Detroit draft picks -- both of them -- were TEN (10) years ago. The recent picks, say 2003 onward, have not shown any signs of being anything. There's nobody from 2001. Kronwall was 2000, as was Kopecky and what a find the latter was: 13 pts in 107 games! Fire everyone in Mtl for missing that guy! Maybe we can make up for it by signing Sergei Kolosov to an offer sheet this summer. We've got two contracts left. Holland would have to blow his cap space to keep that guy.

Let's not forget such immortals as Jimmy Howard, Andreas Sundin, Johan Ryno, Mattias Ritola and Kyle Quincey! Clearly a new wing in the Hall of Fame is required for these Detroit gems. I'm pretty sure kids in Southeastern Lower Michigan have already got the jerseys and dream of playing alongside these guys. I saw a kid playing ball hockey in Lansing score a goal and yell, "And Anton Axelsson scores the cup winner!"

pst-please.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote