View Single Post
Old
05-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I know Toots dissapointing play in the last series is still fresh in everyones mind but I don't think we should be quick to move him.
People wouldn't be disappointed if it was just the last series. But his play took a downward turn after January and on.

Quote:
Sometimes when a player doesn't reach his perceived potential we view him as a failure.
I think alot of people have gotten over the fact that he will not be putting up monster numbers like his junior totals would indicate. Those who saw him in Guelph should have been aware of this anyways and not surprised.

It's a stretch, but those who are saying he's been a failure are most likely pointing to his regression. I wouldn't say it so dramatically, but Toots got a whole lot less reliable, steady, physical, and able with the puck as the season wore on. That's what's really disappointing.

Quote:
A few years back we all hoped Toots would develop into a top pairing D-man with more offensive upside then he has shown. He hasn't reached that potential but he has turned into a very solid #3-#4 Dman. He plays physical and is one of the few guys on our backline who forces the other team to keep their head up when they are crossing our blue line. He is signed to a cap friendly contract for a top 4 dman for the next 4 years and has good chemistry with Girardi. He may have reached his ceiling but he is currently a pretty solid NHL Dman, so his ceiling isn't that bad.
There's nothing wrong with a guy like Tyutin, and we most certainly should be icing a team next year with him on it. But to think that he can't go in a trade for a defenseman who is as tenured and has just as much talent or more is silly.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote