View Single Post
Old
05-19-2008, 05:40 PM
chitownhabsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
yes he did score all five goals in a game against toronto
And was named to be all three stars [trois étoiles] of the game.

Imagine the consternation of the fans when he was initially named the third star of the game which is announced first; who was going to be named the second & first must have been going through the minds of the fans at the time!!

I would say that one of his finest moments came many years after he had retired and he received the standing 15 minutes ovation at the closing of Le Forum. What an emotional moment and a show of appreciation for his many exploits on the ice and his dedication to Les Habs.

As a young man in the US Navy at the time, I was at that game in Boston in March 1955 that precipitated his suspension and subsequent riot in Montreal but don't remember much about the game or the incident, not realizing it was going to turn out to be a historical hockey moment. I believe he hit a linesman [George Hayes?], not a ref. Remember that a ref observes an altercation and doesn't get involved.

In addition, it should be noted that Dick Irvin always used to goad 'Le Rocket' into some of his outbursts during a game and that was his last year coaching Les Glorieux, Selke let him go.