View Single Post
Old
05-19-2008, 08:13 PM
CoolinWithCosta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
In the playoffs he usually logged more time than Briere and sometimes Richards aswell. And Briere was experimented on wing the last 2 games vs the penguins aswell. We could see something like this:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Upshall-Carter-Knuble
Hartnell-Umberger-Lupul
I agree with you here, as I feel that Briere should be moved to the wing full time. With the size at the center spot throughout our division, Briere struggled to play good two-way hockey. Richards and Carter (he should and will be signed) are both good two-way centers and are more than capable of playing top 6 minutes. I don't think that Umberger will be able to be re-signed, however, because his demands will be too high for the Flyers to meet. If that is the case, I'm hoping he is traded for a top 4 d-man. Hatcher should then retire, and that would free up some space for us to sign a legit 3rd line center like Malhotra who could play on the PK and win you about 58% of his draws. I'd like to see lines like this for the regular season:

Gags-CANNON-Briere
Upshall-Carter-Knuble
Harts-Legit3rdlinecenter-Lupul
Cote-Dowd/Thor-Downie

This leaves out Giroux. I really think that Giroux would be able to step in next year, play top 6 minutes, and produce like Gagne did during his rookie year (about 50 pts). However, we have lots of players under contract so if a 3rd line center isn't available, I could see Danny staying as a Center and lines looking like this:

Gags-Briere-Hartnell
Upshall-Carter-Knuble
Lupul-CANNON-Giroux
Cote-Dowd/Thor-Downie

As for the defense, if Jones is asking for more than Coburn then I say good riddance. We have capable defenseman who can step in and play next year. With Hatcher retiring (I hope he does, but I'm sure he will attempt to play another year with those knees) I would look for something like this with the d-pairings:

Timo-Coburn
Parent-Trade/UFA
Kukkonen-Hatcher/Jones(depending)

Again, this is all wishful thinking and I'm sure Homer will come up with something that will completely blow us away and we'll all be excited going into the 08-09 season. From what I can tell, this is a good problem we have (forward depth). We just need to pick up a solid puck-moving d-man to play top 4 minutes and go from there.

In Homer We Trust!

CoolinWithCosta is offline   Reply With Quote