View Single Post
Old
05-19-2008, 09:57 PM
predhead1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Its not our fault teams around the league have started dropping absurd numbers on RFA and UFA to be. Hartnell's signing last year was much worse in comparison, and it set the bar fairly high. Add in the gigantic RFA contracts that have been handed out by several teams, including but not limited to Tampa (Richards at the max), Buffalo (Vanek), Pittsburgh (Whitney and Crosby), and you see how this occurs. I'm not too upset with the contract to be honest. He would have received similar money on the free agent market, especially if he has a stable second line next year. Lowe's antics has changed the league because teams are legitimately afraid to lose their young stars, and thus, RFA is no longer cheap. I could care less how it affects big market teams who are looking to sign their young players cheap so that they can sign away small market teams stars (I'm so sorry that Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, Toronto, or one of the other high salary teams could not reap the rewards of Erat in his prime)....Oh wait - I'm not. Erat is 26. He showed signs of breaking out last season and this season pre-injury. He has been a consistent top line player in tournaments, and he is suited for playoff battles. Would I be happier if the contract was for 4 million a year? Yes. Would he have signed a multi-year deal @ 4 million a year? Highly doubtful heading into UFA. We would likely have had to sign him to a 1 year tender and if he had a great year, wave goodbye. If you don't believe me, look at these UFA contracts from last year alone...and these are just the forwards (I excluded Briere's 8 million a year contract)

Paul Kariya: 3 years 18 million
Jason Blake: 5 years 20 million
Chris Drury: 5 years 35.25 million
Scott Gomez: 7 years 51.5 million
Ryan Smyth: 5 years 31.25 million
Michael Handzus: 4 years 16 million
Michael Nylander: 4 years 19.5 million
Todd Bertuzzi: 2 years 8 million
Dainus Zubrus: 6 years 20.4 million
Bill Guerin: 2 years 9 million
How dare you confuse the situation with facts

It's clear that in the current environment the GMs are being forced to take a longer-term approach in their signings. I think we can wave goodbye to the days when 30+ year old UFAs received huge contracts, principally based on their past performance. GMs are now taking educated risks to sign their young talent to long-term deals as they are entering their prime. Sure it's a risk, but Erat's contract hasn't dramatically changed the landscape.

Just b/c the Pens might not be able to re-sign Malone doesn't mean this was a bad deal for the Preds.

predhead1 is online now   Reply With Quote