View Single Post
Old
05-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
the block certainly wasn't his fault - that was a tough break. i was referring to a bad turnover by jay a few minutes earlier. he was coming around behind the net and ran into traffic and it looked like he should've just banged the puck up the boards but instead tried to navigate through the maze and ended up coughing the puck up right to ward's left. not sure russia got a shot out of it but it could've been a big chance. the first kovalchuk goal was a tough one for both ward and jay but jay was used as a screen on the play. it was a bang bang play and i'm not sure anyone else would've done better but the screen made it very difficult for ward. you're right though, about the only thing he could've done different would have been to over-commit and hope he could get a stick on the puck. would have been the defensive play of the game for sure but, yeah, it would have been very risky. i didn't see a replay of the game winner but with those 4 forwards on the ice for an OT 4-3 PP, it seemed it was only a matter of time. very exciting end to a great tournament, in any case.
Oh, i know what you're talking about now. Yeah, he was rushed by two forwards jumping on him right as he came from behind the net. Seemed like he just tried to flip the puck between them because he only had a split second and he didn't want to risk turning it over to the man on his left by trying to bang it up the boards. That's how it looked to me, anyway. It bounced off of one of them, but didn't result in a shot on goal. Ward just covered it up. That was just a strange play though. How often do you see two men kind of "blitz" the defenseman coming from behind the net?

Ward should have had the game winner, IMO. Granted, it was a PP, and Kovy had some room, but it wasn't like he was only 10 feet away. He was pretty much exactly half way from the blueline to the goalline. It wasn't a laser, either, which is what you would expect from Kovy in that situation. It was a decent wrist shot, but I don't think Ward was screened, he just reacted very poorly to it. Almost looked like he thought it was going to go wide. Just not a good goal to let in there. In OT of the gold medal game, you gotta do better.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote