View Single Post
Old
05-20-2008, 10:10 PM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueMahone View Post
I like Jason Smith, but wouldn't rush to sign him.
As for comparing Orpik to Hal Gill, maybe Gill has improved since his Leafs days but I think he is average at best, he wouldn't upgrade the Rangers. I wouldn't compare Orpik to Gill. Gill is pretty slow-footed, and maybe he looks okay on the Penguins, I bet he would look awful on the Rangers. We already have a slow lumbering defenceman (although I realize that Gill at least uses his size) who is hopefully about to ship out of town real soon. The Wings will take advantage of Gill every chance they get.

Who is the ideal non-homegrown defenceman for the Rangers for next season? Lots of smarter people on this board than me...so I don't know, but I would still rather 'overpay' Orpik for less than we would overpay Campbell (just using this as a comparison since his name is so popular in the trade discussions). I like the way he plays a lot.
Orpik is a good choice cuz he is a physical guy. But JM Liles is a possibility. If the Rangers are looking for someone with physical play then Brad Stuart is an option. I would personally love to get Mark Streit. Redden and Campbell have been tossed around this thread too. Theres a couple of good dmen out there but i personally think if the Rangers want a guy who can play offense and is defensively sound, Mark Streit is a good option.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote