View Single Post
Old
05-23-2008, 01:47 PM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
by the time Cherry will have his entry level contract be over, Drury's contract will be over. Sangs' ELC will be over after 09-10 which will probably be his rookie year. he will not get a monstrous contract after that. Dubi is up for a new contract next year. he won't get a monster contract either. Probably about $2.5 mil. Staal is up in two years. He might get a decent sized contracts but it probably won't be up over $5 mil.

By the way in two years Jagr's contract will be done freeing up room. We have plenty of cheap talent that will be coming up, and the best part is that the cap will keep raising. There is plenty of wiggle room.

Also don't forget that if we think that another team will try to Poach one of our RFA's we can always take him to arbitration so another team cannot. Then work out a 1 yr deal like w/ did w/ Hanke. Just another option of keeping our core players on smaller contracts for 1 extra year.

And how doesn't that lineup see deep to you.

you have a first line w/ Jagr who can still put up some #'s. The second line is Gomez and a perenial 30 goal guy who has put up 40 goals in a season before. the 3rd line is your defensive line that can also put up some goals. it is a very deep lineup.
If Staal continues to progress, in two years he will easily be making more then $5 million a season. The way RFA's are being paid and the decreasing age to reach UFA status you have to sign him to a larger contract then normal to prevent another team throwing an offer sheet at him. Granted a lot can happen in two years and who knows how much more (Or little, hopefully not little) Staal will progress. Maybe saying your projected line-up wasn't deep was the wrong statement. I don't see how its much better then this past season. Stillman probably isn't even necessary for the Rangers to go after in my proposed line-up. I just have a feeling that if Jagr is re-signed, Straka will be re-signed as well.

As for Hossa, adding him at $8.5 million, cuppled with Gomez at $7.1, Drury at $7, and Henrik at $6.75 (That's almost $30 million, more then 1/2 of the salary cap for next season, tied up in 4 players). That amount will be on the books for a min. of the next 4 years. WIth the cap going up to around $56 million, that leaves an average of $1.625 million left per player to fill the remaining 16 spots (Not even counting one or two reserve players) A team cannot afford to do something like that and still remain competitive in the NHL. There is no wiggle room. I mean what happens if for some reason the cap has to go down? Or doesn't go up as much as it has in the past? The Rangers could be in some deep trouble keeping their younger players then.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote