View Single Post
Old
05-25-2008, 08:49 PM
PDO

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
I like this .

Then again, I'm an Oiler fan.

What I noticed from Souray that surprised me, was he was actually pretty good defensively. Obviously playing the rush was a different beast, but in the grinding NW division, he was actually pretty useful at 5v5 when he wasn't hurt. He was good at breaking up the cycle and was good in front of the net as well.

In fact, outside of injuries, my biggest complaint would be his ego. There are certain things he's not, and never will be, and two of those are a guy who can move the puck and a guy who can skate with the puck. Problem is, especially on the PP, he was constantly trying to do both. He'll never be worth the contract he was given, but he's a guy who can help the PP and the PK and be alright at 5v5 as long as he's put in a position to succeed (read: keep him away from speed).

Also, from a PR standpoint, unless the Oilers are bringing in a massive UFA (ex. Hossa), I just cannot see them moving Souray. They've sold it hard that he is "the man" and the contract (the exact contract Smyth turned down) was as much a statement as anything. The Oilers are going to be a cap team from here on out, but I really don't see them moving Souray unless there was a legitimate star coming back... and I don't see why any other team would do that. Value wise, I'd be ecstatic if the Oilers could move him for a few draft picks, just to get out of the contract, but I don't see it happening for the reasons listed above.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote