View Single Post
Old
05-26-2008, 12:39 AM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Uhh no. With non-guaranteed contracts (at least by the NFL model) it is the team, NOT the player, who decides when to terminate the contract (and then, only during a specified window in the offseason).
I suppose that makes it easy to see why relative to that, Ken Campbell would perceive Niedermayers actions as an inordinate amount of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
There is NO way in hell the NHLPA ever agrees to non guaranteed contracts. And in the very unlikely chance that they do, I can guarantee it will be in conjunction with the removal of limits on signing bonuses. In effect, it will become just like the NFL. Instead of Brian Campbell signing for 5 yrs/$30M ($6M/yr), he will demand (and get) 5 yrs/$5M ($1M/yr) with a $25M up front guaranteed signing bonus.
I wonder if as fans, we'd prefer it this way. Its almost hard to believe that the idealistic majority such as preferring adjusting players salaries each summer to account for production, would prefer this system to guaranteed contracts once they thought it through.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote