View Single Post
Old
05-27-2008, 07:18 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
If we are able to dipose of Mason, we not resign Ellis? He played better than Kolzig last year, and he'll probably cost less than Kolzig. Plus, Kolzig is on the downside of his career. Washington benched him last year in favor of Huet.

While Rinne seems like a nice prospect, and we should definitely give him a chance... it's not like he's a sure-fire NHL starter in the future. Goaltender prospects rarely pan out as planned.

Also, Kolzig will probably be heavily courted by several other teams.
Here's the thing though: by signing Ellis to a multi-year deal, we're torching our commitment to Rinne in favor of a commitment to Ellis as our goaltender going forward. We're not going to keep both, so if we sign Ellis to a 2-3 year deal, then Rinne is likely on his way out unless we can unload Mason (and that's a longshot). And if we let Ellis walk, Rinne is our guy and then the line of succession starts: Rinne, Mason, Dekanich, Smith (in 2009).

If we unload Mason, we can re-sign Ellis... but if we re-sign Ellis, we give up our commitment to Rinne going forward... and with the organization being so high on Rinne, I doubt we see Ellis in a Predators uniform again.

I'm not so sure there will be much competition for Kolzig. Again, just Dallas, Colorado and maybe Atlanta are alongside us in our search for goaltenders. If Dallas signs Ellis (which I suspect they will), Atlanta trades for Mason (not sure if they could really afford to pay him) and Colorado keeps Theodore (maybe he was hurt in the playoffs... ), we have zero competition for Kolzig and can easily bring him in.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote