View Single Post
Old
06-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i agree with the fact the rangers have to be creative this offseason, however i dont want sather throwing offer sheets around...i would rather trade for him, or someone else like perry if they cant fit him under the cap
I'm at the point now where I think a proven RFA is worth a 1st and 3rd round pick over keeping and drafting your own 1st round pick. (the 3 year entry level contract is how i've come to this conclussion) By the time an 09 pick is contributing to the team winning (considering where the Rangers should be drafting the next few years) the guy you could've signed is already in the midst of his prime.

Vermette is 24 years old if you sign him to a 5 year offer sheet his prime years are spent at the NHL level. He is already developed (unlike the draft pick) and you already know you are getting a guy that will help you win right now. Not a 32 year old who has years of NHL mileage on him but a 24 year old who is ready to take the next step.

Vermette is worth a 1st and 3rd round pick and is one of the few RFA that can probably be "stolen" this offseason. The days of Restricted Free Agents being totally ignored are over.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote