Thread: Zaborsky signed
View Single Post
Old
06-02-2008, 06:37 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Pierre Parenteau and Andrew Hutchinson may not be back.
That was my point. They're not in the long term plans, but yet pulled down some of the biggest minutes on the team... because they were the best players on the team.

Quote:
And, I'll believe Byers, Moore, or Bourret will be good NHL players when i see it.
I never claimed Moore would be.

Quote:
Any way it is sliced, Anisimov, Hillier, and Zaborsky are going to be the most talented forwards on the team, unless Sather signs someone else. Or trades for someone else.
Most talented doesn't equal most able to perform at the level required at this stage in their careers.

Quote:
Pyatt had 41 games in the AHL last year.

Zaborsky had 2.
Zaborsky played only two games because he didn't out-play or out-practice AHL guys like Mike Ouellette and Jordan Owens. He didn't play more than that because the coaching staff recognized he wasn't ready to step in and play at the level required yet. And the coaching staff is in a far better position to judge that than you, me, a stat sheet, or a scouting report.

Quote:
Can't compare them, Pyatt had a bad year. Bourret had 2 bad years with Hartford.

There is no way they should be considered higher in the depth chart, simply because they have seniority on the team. they are not better players then Hillier, Zaborsky, and Anisimov.
No one in Hartford gets ice time because they have more seniority. Players get ice time when they perform better than others. And nowhere have I said Bourret or Pyatt are higher on the depth chart than Anisimov. But until Hiller and Zaborsky prove they can play at the next level, Pyatt and Bourret most certainly are for now.

Quote:
Again, Moore, Byers, and Bourret should not play more minutes then Hillier, Zaborsky and Anisimov simply because they have more experience.
Perhaps you should re-read my post, because I never said they should. The best players get the most ice time. Who will be the best players next season won't be decided until they all get on the ice next September and start playing.

Quote:
Hillier, Zaborsky, and Anisimov will not be damaged from playing. Their development will not be damaged.
Their development most certainly would be damaged if they were consistently put in a position to fail by being thrown out on the ice in situations they're not ready for, against competition that's consistently better than them. Confidence is huge part of success in hockey. If you constantly put a player out against competition that outplays them, you WILL damage their confidence.

Quote:
If you can list players who both have more talent, and deserve to make up the top line, then go for it.
See, that's the difference between you and me. I'm not basing my evaluation on stats and scouting reports. Whoever plays best in camp and to start the season next year should get the top line spots. You don't hand a player that position because of their pedigree, draft position or past stats, you make them earn it.

Quote:
But i don't see how burying Hillier and Zaborsky on a lower line in Hartford is going to help their development. It would do the opposite.
Where did I say I want Hiller and Zaborsky buried on lower lines? My whole argument is that the player who proves they are most capable of the role should get it. Moreover, the reason there are only 17 skaters allowed in the AHL is to prevent the existence of a 4th line of scrubs who don't belong there and only get 4 minutes of ice time a night. That's why players are developed in the AHL rather than the NHL. In Hartford, for the majority of the season, the even strength playing time is pretty distributed amongst the three lines, with power play time going to the players who show the most offensive talent.

Quote:
And besides that, Anisimov will compete for an NHL spot, saying he can't be the top line center in Hartford is wrong.
Again, please re-read my post. NOWHERE did i say Anisimov can't be the top line center in Hartford next season. I said he couldn't at the start of last season. He started there, but it became obvious very early on that he couldn't handle the minutes (by the third period he'd have to skip shifts because he was gassed). Add to that the fact that he didn't understand the North American pro game yet, was getting outbattled physically in the face off circle and along the boards, and it resulted in him looking lost and overmatched. So his ice time was eased back and he was put out on the ice in a role where there was less pressure to score and he could focus on his all-around game, adjusting to the style of play, and improving his physical play. In other words, he was put in a position to succeed, rather than fail. And it worked perfectly. By the end of the season, he'd put on 10 pounds, was playing a more physical game, rocking the faceoff circle, contributing more consistently offensively and was able to handle the ice time, often getting double shifted with the spare forwards. It was a textbook example of how to develop a player, and he responded beautifully, and was easily the player who showed the most consistent, visible improvement over the course of the season.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote