JdM news: AKost, Sundin, Hossa, Jagr, new Rules....
View Single Post
06-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Originally Posted by
Some news from JdM:
- Signing A.Kost is Gainey top priority
- Sundin may want to play for a Canadian team, because he has a lot of Canadian funds. According to the newspaper, if he plays in US, those funds will become taxable, and the rate may be as high as 50%. It doesn't mention the kind of funds.
- Sundin and his agent seem to ask for $7M/year
- Jagr is actually in Mexico, waiting for an offer from NYR, but it may not come
- Hossa wants to stay in Pittsburgh. As opposed to rumors, Pitts also want to retain his services. They may get rid of Sydor, Roberts, and even Malone. [it sounds very logic that Penguins need a good winger]
- GMs are meeting to analyze two new rule proposals: fight instigator and a rule that forces a face-off in the penalized team zone [I like this one]. The rule may be tested in AHL first.
Any comment ?
Sundin at his age and at 7 million is too much, only if we move some salary and bash away but it would fall under the Koivu/Kovalev budgeted money.
Jagr will probably elsewhere next season because of money already tied up with Gomez, Drury and now looking at Avery and others the Rags don't have the funds.
Hossa can sign in Pittsburgh, but if they are going to sink all there money into Crosby, Hossa, Fleury, Malkin and Staal...I don't care how good they are because you still have to get some help on that D and you need grunt and depth players like Roberts and Malone's. The only reason they don't sign Malone is because he will be offered 4 million per elsewhere and Pittsburgh can't afford him. Roberts is getting too old and Sydor has been a bit player all season. Those are however 3 roster spots you have to fill...so who fills them? You can't expect 3 players from the farm to step in and be those guys.
In my opinion if Pittsburgh signs Hossa they will lose one of Malkin or Staal in a RFA offer or have to trade because of money restrictions. Look at Tampa Bay, they are the model of you can't sink all your money on a couple of ponies....one or two key element players making high money with a good mix of middle players and grunt players is the way to go. Pittsburgh maybe setting themselves up for falure.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by RE-HABS