View Single Post
Old
06-03-2008, 01:56 PM
TomLaidlaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Heck, if you guys like him and want to pay him $3 - 5 million a year be my guest but I would never let him get more than $2 million in a cap system.

Oh and Shanny was technically a $2.5 million cap hit because incentives don't count towards the cap until the following year. Is a player who scored 23 goals in 73 games worth $2.5 million? Probably.

And in the Playoffs just about everyone is more important than Avery in each of the last two years. So, why should we pay him the big bucks? For him to skate around and trash talk Brodeur? I'll pass as entertaining as that can be.

And why is it misleading? Because we had Jaromir Jagr, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Brendan Shanahan, Henrik Lundqvist, emerging talents like Brandon Dubinsky, Nigel Dawes, Marc Staal, and a tight defensive system that we made the playoffs and were a decent team. NOT because of Sean Avery. You can look at the record when "Brandon Dubinsky registers a point in the game" and I'd bet you its an excellent record. Or "When Henrik Lundqvist stops 25 shots" thats its an excellent record. Thats why I can care less about the record when Avery is in the line up.

Gomez is making $8 million next season, Lundqvist is making $7.75 million next season, and Drury is making $7.1 million next season. We can't afford to throw away money like its going out of style.
I disagree with every single word of your post above.

-Shanny counted 4.7 mill against our cap this year. The rest counts against next years cap. So i'll ask my original question to you again, Shanny 4.7 mill, Drury 7.0, Backman 2.3, Malik 2.5. When comparing him to his peers you don't think Avery is worth more than 2.0 mill a year? Do you really believe that?

-So you view our record with Avery in the lineup as just a strange coincidence? Interesting theory.

Avery's playoff stats :
Games - 8
Goals - 4
Assists - 3
+/- Rating - +3
Hall of Fame Goalies annoyed - 1
Spleens ruptured - 1

That isn't worth 2mill in your opinion?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote