View Single Post
Old
06-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
the reason it wouldn't be too much is because Sunding might only play one year. One year till Kovalev and Koivu become UFA. SO at the end of Sundin's One year contract we still have money for both our captain and assistant. I would be in favour of using our Money to do good this summer. Out bid the other interested parties if he decides not to sign with the Leafs. We make money, we can spend up to the cap.

just my two cents.
I see your two cents and raise them by two more cents. I wouldn't hesitate to spend 7 million on Sundin. Lone Rogue's breakdown for next year is pretty illuminating. There will be a cap crunch when Komisarek, Higgins and Plekanec all come up for renewal. But that's unavoidable at this point if Gainey wants to sign/acquire an impact player, whether it's Hossa, Sundin, or Lecavalier.

Short of signing no one at all next year and leaving 12 million in dead space to be sure to have enough money, I think you just have to hold your nose and deal with the situation when it arises. A lot can happen in a year. The cap might shoot up yet again. In any event, the Habs are well-stocked with prospects and cap-friendly young players at every position. The roster architecture should allow Gainey to keep building and renovating the team even with that cap crunch looming.

As for where Sundin would play, it wouldn't matter what line it would be called. You'd have three ES scoring units the way Buffalo had Roy, Briere and Drury. Carbonneau would have to find ES combinations. He's got the parts to do it. Leave the Koivu-Higgins duo and Plekanec's line intact, and you still have Grabovski, Latendresse, SKostitsyn, D'Agostini, and even Lapierre for just three spots. There are a lot of internal, status quo options there, a lot of different styles and skillsets.

I figure Sundin, Koivu and Plekanec would play about 50-55 mins a game, depending on PP and PK. That still leaves a pretty generous 5-10 minutes a game for a young 4th liner like Chipchura or Lapierre. Someone could argue that PK combinations sometimes don't have a C, but the fact that some combination of Sundin, Koivu and Plekanec would play on PP units 1 and 2 should more than compensate, as Koivu and Plekanec (and probably Sundin) also play on the top PK units. So there would actually be more than 60 mins a game to go around for the 4 centers. If the three top centers average just 17-18 mins a game, it wouldn't be a bad thing at all over the course of a season given Sundin's age and Koivu's durability.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote