View Single Post
Old
06-03-2008, 08:28 PM
oreilly22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'd like to see those quotes from hamhuis if you could dig them up.

Trotz is what he is. An good/not great coach, with recognizable strengths and flaws. I personally do not believe we can win in the playoffs with him as the head coach, but lets see if anything changes next year. Aside from the craptastic powerplay this year, he actually gave left little to complain about, even in the playoffs.
Monday, May 5 - Dan Hamhuis
Well, weíre done with the first weekend of play. Our team has done well, won our first two games. But on paper they were probably our two easiest opponents. Tomorrow we get our first big test when we face the US team.

Through the first two games weíve played pretty good, but havenít been pushed to our best yet. That should change tomorrow. From here on out the games will get harder and harder, so we need to continue to improve our play.

Itís a little more exciting since the USA/Canada hockey rivalry has started to grow within international circles. We donít a long history against them like the Canada/Russia rivalry, but the last 10 years or so itís become one of the more competitive rivalries. Iíve only played against the US three or four times with Team Canada, but itís always a good game. You know everyone from the NHL or Juniors and both countries play similar styles, so that adds to the intensity a bit. For hockey fans, tomorrow should be a fun game to watch.

Coach Hitchcock will have us ready to play. This tournamentís the first time Iíve been with Hitch, so itís a new experience for me. Heís strong with systems and a good motivator. Heís a perfectionist. These first two games weíve played havenít been all that competitive, so we havenít had to play perfect hockey to get the wins, but he was still looking for perfection out of all of us. He was coaching all the way through the games. He didnít wait until after the game or the next day, he let us know on the spot when we messed up, which was good; kept us focused through the games.

So far Iíve been paired mostly with Minnesota Brent Burns. Itís been a good pairing for both of us. We know we can play better, but right now weíre still getting used to how the other guy plays and what our responsibilities are in Coach Hitchcockís system. But weíre adjusting and itís getting more natural. So far itís been a good fit.

Overall, the team has gone pretty much as I expected. Iíve been really impressed with some of our forwards, especially our first line, which has been playing really well; the Ryan Getzlaf, Dany Heatley, Rich Nash line.

Well, Iíll check back in on Wednesday with a recap from tomorrowís big game against the US and a look forward to our Qualifying Round games.

In retrospect maybe kind of speculative on my part, but I took it as a subtle bash at Trotz and his system.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote