View Single Post
Old
06-05-2008, 10:28 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well, the Rangers record with and without Avery can also be explained just by virtue of having a good player in the lineup versus having that player sit out. He certainly helps the team, but I don't think there's anything mystical about it. He's a good hockey player, and he helps the team a lot when he plays well. But he's not irreplaceable and he's not worth whatever he wants just to keep him. If he walks, the Rangers will find a replacement and move on.

As for comparing him and Malone, Malone generally has better numbers and is increasing his stock by playing well through the entirety of the playoffs. That's going to pump his stock up more than it's worth
Sure he is a good player, but so too is Straka. However, do you think that the record with and without Straka would be as stark as with or without Avery? Nobody is irreplaceable, however I think that some players are much tougher to replace than others. The Rangers are still looking for the next Beuk.

As for Malone, as I have posted in another thread, in Avery's 76 games with the Rangers, his numbers have been similar to Malone's from this past year. Also, Avery scored put up solid numbers in this past playoffs. I just do not see the how Malone can be considered worty of a 2nd line salary, but Avery cannot be.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote