Thread: Gary Bettman
View Single Post
Old
06-06-2008, 01:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Re: the story about the bad encounter with Bettman.

Look, he is human, just like the rest of us.

Sometimes you meet a celebrity figure and one day they may be generous and nice, the next day they may be in a bad mood.

I get on him too at times.

The point I'm trying to make is that he isn't the commissioner to be nice to everyone all day. He is the commissioner to get the league to flourish.

IMO, with the current state of the league, post-lockout, the only BIG issues are:

1 A- No mainstream National TV deal.
1 B- HAVE TO re-up the IIHF agreement.
2- schedule: every team should play in every building at least once per season. That means every team playing every team at least twice.
3- inconsistent officiating.

Beyond that the league is in great shape, IMO.Revenue has gone up every year post-lockout, the quality of the games has gotten better and better, faster.

New generational talent comes in every year via the draft. Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, soon to be Stamkos, Tavares... not to mention the other young superstars around the league. The talent level is going up every year, and every year the slower, less skilled, fringe players are getting weeded out.

So, I think he has done a good job since the lockout, which, i think HAD TO happen for the sake of the league. Sometimes you need a step back to take two steps forward.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote