View Single Post
Old
06-06-2008, 02:55 PM
jaffy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
For me it gets very dangerous to start model our draft needs by looking at today's immediate NHL needs. Especially when you have a late 1st round pick which will take 2-3 or more years to develop. No one knows what's going to happen down the road. That said, getting a top 10-15 pick who should have a sharper learning curve reduces the risk, but there's still no guarantee it's best course of action.

We drafted Carey Price with Theodore as a firmly established no.1 and Huet as a solid backup. If Timmins had listened to the geniuses here (I was one of them) we would have gone with Brule rather than Price.

That doesn't mean we should be going exclusively with the BPA but rather if we look at the prospects we have now and the ones who will be ready to fill holes on the NHL roster soon we can start to make a list. So for me we should focus on forwards (Center and RW) and eventually down the line a couple goalies. And while there is a need for big, r-handed, scoring, mean centers (basically the type that only exists about 5 times in the NHL) overall our pool at center isn't that bad. Chipchura, White, Maxwell and Trotter aren't stars or guaranteed NHLers, but they're good prospects. Other than Stamkos, (and he isn't that big) there isn't a guaranteed star center in this draft.

Going out of our way to pick a guy who may not be ready in 2 years isn't the best way to run a draft especially when there are going to be a lot of skilled forwards available in the late 1st and early 2nd round. We could easily end up with a solid scoring forward if we stay at 25.

That said, I do think getting Beach would be very, very nice. He is the type of prospect we need in the cupboard, but there's no guarantee he'll be the same perfect fit in the NHL in 2-3 years.
There is no guarantee in anything, but you can take a chance at things and in my opinion, this is a safe bet. It's not Crosby safe but it's better than Chouinard safe. I think this guy will turn into a Shane Doan type player, it's just one of those feelings, just like I think he should go and get Malone and try to sign Carter. Could you imagine

Malone Carter Kostitsyn
Kostitsyn Pleks Kovalev
Latendresse Koivu Higgins
Kostopoulos Chips Lapierre

Spares Begin, Stewart

Markov Komisaurus
Hamrlik O'Byrne
Gorges Valentenko

I think overall you have speed, size and strength, aahhh what a dream

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote