View Single Post
Old
06-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Kendo

vCash: 500
The organization has an abundance of LWs.

Dawes
Prucha
Korpikoski
Byers
Hollweg

Without signing Sjostrom (RFA), Straka or Avery, that would be my depth chart.

Straka is pretty much finished in the NHL, though I appreciate the energy, effort and all-around disregard for his own safety that he brought to the team during his tenure. I don't know what Prucha's (or Renney's, not really sure) problem was this past season, but he should be the in-house promotion to replace Marty...especially if JJ stays.

Sjostrom is a big maybe in my book. Though he would make a better prototypical "3rd liner" than Prucha or Dawes, I doubt he can be nearly as good in an offensive role. Isn't Korpedo a fairly fast, fairly big, all-situation player with possibly limited offensive up-side as well? Though Korpikoski has a pretty high cap hit for a rookie, Sjostrom is due a minimum of $845K as a QO anyway, so why not promote from within yet again?

The afore mentioned quintet of LWs doesn't quite have success written all over it by any means, but that's where Avery, Malone or whoever comes in. In my opinion, Avery would provide what's missing with a more favorable salary and term than say a Malone would, and he would flat-out bring more to the table then next year's Straka.

That, while lacking jaw-dropping talent on the left side, would provide us a four-line team with a "top 9" as opposed to a "top 6." There's undeniable strength down the middle and one large vacancy to the right of Gomer.

Again, I appreciated his time spent here, but it's time for Marty to ride off into the sunset. He would have to make a 3/4 trip around the world to head west and end up in the CR, but still...

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote