Thread: Value of: Jay Bouwmeester!
View Single Post
Old
06-07-2008, 10:34 AM
voxel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Is that how players are compared, judged, and ridiculed in this league now, by the stats? Or is that all you have to go by? There is a lot more to Bouwmeester's game to come, and if you would watch him over the years, or even over last season, you would see his game continue to develop. A "few" games doesnt cut it. Bouw hasnt hit his ceiling yet. That will be when he is a multiple Norris trophy finalist. Lots of people want to judge him off of his numbers, but I guarantee you that if he was playing in a "traditional hockey market," I wouldnt have to once again defend someone against stats. I think he is the top young Dman in this league, as Ive seen others think as well, a top 10 Dman overall, and in a trade, his return would be great IMO.
I ragged on Phaneuf last year(06-07) for not being as good defensively (something hard to measure using stats) as his reputation says he was because he'd choose big hits over smart defensive plays but he drastically improved in past season(07-08) and has continued putting up more points against tougher opposition.

I think Bouwmeester would be both exposed and love in a "traditional hockey market" as his development has hit a speed bump (much like Pitkanen) and I don't see the Pronger/Lidstrom level defensive skill AT ALL.

I see him as the second tier behind the likes of Phaneuf, Burns, Weber who continue to zip by at 160mph on the young defensemen highway. BTW At no point did I say his trade value is low (see all post above).

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote