View Single Post
Old
06-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagman-O-War View Post
I think that Martin believes that more offense will come from a better transition game. How many times did this team get hemmed into its own zone and kill any rush? I'm with everybody that we need a good finisher, but helping the transition game would be a big boost to the offense.

I think part of that will come with coaching too. Getting the forwards and defense to come in as a five man unit will improve overall team defense and offense.

Besides, who knows what will happen between now and the start of the season. Who thought Vokoun would become available? Maybe a new opportunity will arise and someone becomes available who isn't right now. I'll prefer to pass judgment after free agency has gone on for a bit. It's too early to go just on speculation.
Exactly, we need to improve both our transition from defense to offense, and also our skill up front. But we only have the money to address one need through UFA. We have a lot of forward skill coming up to the big club soon, but we don't have a lot of puck moving skill from the backline coming up soon. It seems like Martin is counting on Matthias to make the team next season. I don't think it's a bad plan at all. I'm not expecting Matthias to light the world on fire, but he can at least contribute. Maybe Repik and Frolik come up at some point in the season as well, who knows. Maybe Martin moves a couple bottom six forwards during the season to make room. Look at what the Kostitsyn brothers did for Montreal last year. Also, Grabovski and Chipchura for brief stretches. They went with a youth movement at forward last year and they wound up being the top seed in the East. I doubt they even make the playoffs without the Kostitsyns.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote