Thread: Bright Future
View Single Post
Old
06-09-2008, 08:46 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
For me I don't really know if it's selling people short. You follow prospects long enough and you just start to see the odds.

Playing Devil's advocate - we've named Cherapanov, Anisimov, Hillier, Dawes and Bourret.

Of those five only Cherapanov has a legit shot at being a dangerous goal scorer.

Anisimov is a playmaker, his strength is not in his shooting (same as Gomez). That's not to say he doesn't have 60 or even 70 point potential, it's saying that a big majority are going to be assists.

Dawes looks like a very nice second line winger.

Bourret is struggling at the AHL level, so we can't even being to pencil him into a top two line spot, regardless of his potential.

Hillier, projects as a third line winger. His career arch is very similar to Callahan.

In terms of actual goal scorers we are banking on Cherapanov and Dawes at the moment. And the big emphasis will be on Cherapanov.

As for a team full of 15-20 goal scorers, I just don't see that happening. The third liners who chip in those kind of points have the freedom to do so because they have scorers in front of them who help ease that burden and buy them some room. Without those guys in front of them, they aren't likely to score at that pace.

You look at a team that can do that (Detroit being a solid example) and you see that they drafted and developed two YOUNG, 90-point forwards and have arguably one of the greatest defenseman of all-time.

That is what the Rangers will need in order to be able to put together a scenario in which the third line can perform like that. So once again we are back to the hope that Cherapanov becomes that dynamic scorer and Anisimov becomes his playmaker. Because without Zetterberg or Datsyuk, the wings don't have enough in place with their forwards to win. No matter how you slice it, this team doesn't have enough without Cherapanov and Anisimov hitting their highest potentials.
i will just say i agree with you here as you are the senior member and i value your opinion, although i do believe that some of the rangers prospects are a bit better than you portray them, however, like i said, you have been around longer than i have so i will give you the road as they used to say

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote