View Single Post
Old
06-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If you're going to spend that much on a defenceman, go for Campbell who is much better. Wade has seen better days and backs down as soon as play gets physical.
Maybe, but I don't understand the ooo-la-la-ness surrounding Campbell. He's a pretty good puck rushing defenceman. But he's not physical at all, and I don't see him as an extraordinary offensive threat. I think he's a guy who needs a particular system and teammates to flourish. And if he's asking for 8 million, then my goodness that's ridiculous. Let him go to Atlanta.

As for Redden, he could be on the downside of his career. But the guy is still pretty young as far as NHL defencemen go. Even 38 year old Augroin showed that he had something left. He might just need a change. There was bad mojo on that Ottawa team. Also, and I don't want to exaggerate this, but having a goalie like Price who can play the puck can really help defencemen who would otherwise get run all season long. From what I recall, Gerber is a pretty lousy puckhandling goalie, which makes a guy like Redden an easy and oft-abused target.

The problem with signing big name defencemen is that you have to pay so much even for a guy who has warts somewhere on his game. I use the Hamrlik example again: he was too old, too slow, too this, too that. By the end of the season, he established himself as one of the best top 3 defencemen the Habs have had in a long time. Yet he's still all of those things. But that overall stability was, I think, well worth the 5.5 million, at least in year 1 of 4.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not crazy about Redden. I'm not crazy about Campbell either, especially not for premium UFA money. The rest have their own warts. I just think that Redden is a credible option, and one that I prefer instead of re-signing Streit.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote