View Single Post
Old
06-10-2008, 11:36 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
I think Den went a little overboard when he said that a Euro's kid interest in SC borderlines on zero. The interest is certainly there. But to represent the country and to be a World Champion or an Olympic Champion as a member of the national team - that is truly special. It is of greater importance than etching your name on the Stanley Cup. It's nice to have your name on the Cup. But to have a gold medal of a Champion, to be a national hero (the whole team is)... speechless.
I dont doubt that a kid dreams of winning the Gold, but we were talking about the Euro "leagues" as compared to the NHL. The world tournaments are for national pride, not day to day professional sportsmanship/business.

To be at the TOP of the professional hockey benchmark, players all over the world know its still the NHL. That's where the "majority " of the best come to try to beat the best given the opportunity.

$$$$ is a factor but not the only factor. You think Ovechkin, Malkin, Lids, Alfie etc etc couldnt get paid more back in Europe?

I'm sure they could, but they play in the NHL.

How excited was the Locomotiv fanbase to get Yashin? Did they think they stole an elite player from the NHL?

I think Jagr , even at 36 is a much different story. Might even be the kind of elite player with some game left to set a precedent.