View Single Post
Old
06-10-2008, 10:59 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
I'd claim that because it's a fact. It's been mentioned NUMEROUS times how Martin doesn't really relate to the players. He's more of a hands-off coach and doesn't establish any sort of personal relationships with players really. I've had coaches like that and I've had coaches who relate and are friendly with the players, and a lot of people respond to the latter style better. More veteran players would be good for Martin to coach with that approach but with younger kids, you have to be able to relate to them and bring them along. Martin is not even good in interviews with the media, and while I agree with calling out Olli, you don't keep beating your star player. Olli was a star over the past 5 years and had one bad year. You think he's going to enjoy coming back and enjoy negotiating with Martin after seeing his name dragged through the mud when it's players like Peltonen, Dvorak, Stumpel, Murphy etc... who didn't pull any weight at all and are much more largely to blame? Everyone knows Martin is very impersonal in the locker room, as many players have even said, so why is that a surprise that he's not the most effective communicator with his players? He can still get his point across, but it's evident when it took them so long to play the system correctly and actually listen to what he was saying that he's no Mike Babcock.
lol. please. are you kidding??? hmm. how would JM look coaching lidstrom, zetterberg, datsyuk? haha. babcock did a fantastic job but your analogy, and i'm being generous, leaves a lot to be desired.

in any event, we are talking about 2 different things. i clarified above that i'm talking about the ability to communicate, not relate, and you are still hammering on the wrong end of this argument so there isn't much point in this.

ps and OT - you, and others around here are so off on the olli thing. JM did not beat up olli at the end of the season and, if anything, he's been deferential to olli since the season's ended. he simply agreed with olli's self-criticism and added some stats to underscore the point. since then, he's been complimentary and if you've bothered to pay attention to anything he's said publicly, you'd know that he's walking a very fine line, knowing that olli very well could be back next year.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote