View Single Post
Old
06-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
Wouldn't the Oilers do handstands if Pitkanen filed for arbitration? IMO, his value is based on potential. His stats for 07/08 on the other hand don't look so hot. If I were Pitkanen, I'm not sure I would take this risk this summer, and bind myself to the Oilers for the next season at least in the process.
It depends on what you think Pitkanen is going to get in arbitration. If you think he's only going to get $3 million or so, let him file. If you think he could get $5 million, then do you accept it based on that potential or do you say, "sorry - too rich for us" and let him walk? Besides, for any demand there might be for him I don't see anyone deciding they have to have him so badly that they're willing to give up picks in next year's draft.

I could be wrong, but I don't see him getting an offer sheet that he'll sign ... and if he doesn't file for arbitration and doesn't take his qualifying offer, then he could be at the mercy of the Oilers barring a huge offer from someone else [which, as I said, I don't think comes along].