View Single Post
Old
06-11-2008, 04:58 PM
voxel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
How in the world do you figure that Raffi Torres and Umberger have the same trade value? Umberger just had a 50 point season and a very good playoffs. Torres hasn't done anything the last two years and missed a bunch of time with a knee injury. Torres isn't worth much more than a mid round pick, yet Oilers fans think he still has value for some reason.

I'm not saying that Umberger has a bunch of untapped potential, but 60-65 points certainly isn't out of reach. He's worth close to a top 4 defenseman, no, not a young one with top pairing upside, but a decent player that can play 18 minutes a night.
Umberger is a year away from UFA and has scored 20 goals once in his career... even 4th line scrubs Glencross + Brodziak both scored more goals than Umberger in the regular season this year. There are dozens of players like Umberger than can be had for 2nd/3rd round picks.

Torres is approximate a 20G 20A - 40pt player which is Umberger's typical rate except this year. I don't see his upside. The other difference is that Torres scores 99% of his points at ES because he doesn't play on the PP whereas Umberger scores maybe 70% at ES. I've always said Torres is a lesser Hartnell.

Is he worth a top-4 D-men? Maybe a defensive D-men, but not an two-way top-4 D-man.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote