A different Outlook - Jay Pandolfo
View Single Post
06-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Join Date: Nov 2007
A couple comments from a Devils fan who wants "Pando" to be re-signed (and I think he will be).
1. He's making 836k because of the lockout rollback. I think he's likely to be offered at least 1.5m from the Devils. The players love him and the team loves him game. He's not a rah-rah leader but he has won the Devils players' "Unsung Hero" award 4 or 5 years.
2. You probably don't want him on the same line as Chris Higgins unless you're swimming in offensive forwards. Pandolfo can score maybe 12-18 goals, maybe even 20 in a great year. But he doesn't have a ton of skill to set other players up. He'll work hard offensively, and works great with Madden on the counterattack (they've been playing together forever), but he isn't going to create extra opportunities on offense.
3. He had a pretty nasty injury this year (strained pelvic ligaments from crashing top speed into the end-boards) that hurt his game when he came back later in the season. He should be fully recovered after a long offseason.
4. He isn't a speedster. He's great with his stick and is always in good defensive position, but he's not some kind of high energy player. Gives 110% but he only has average speed. This is probably a concern in a few years. He's played a lot of hard minutes and I'm not sure he'll be really effective when he's 35 or 36.
5. He has a nice Boston accent.
View Public Profile
Buzz Killington's albums
Find More Posts by Buzz Killington