Arbitrator: Rangers must pay Holik, Ortmeyer
View Single Post
06-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by
I'm not sure what you're trying to say in the first two lines of your response.
I'm not saying that bringing Holik back is my first choice. But I do think it's an intriguing outside-the-box solution for a few reasons:
1) If Drury would be one of the top 5 forwards in this UFA group why overpay for someone who might be lower than that when you can move Drury to the wing? Holik would come cheaper than the Ryders, Rolstons and certainly Hossas.
2) You actually add a better faceoff guy on the third line.
3) You add much needed grit to the forwards.
4) You have a guy you can put up against Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Spezza, Carter, etc. Something the Rangers showed they really needed and did not have in the Pittsburgh series.
5) If the priority is to find someone to play with Gomez (and it should be) I don't see the reason to take a chance on a UFA when you already have a guy here who has played with Gomez on the PP and might be the best option available.
And you can scoff at the notion that Holik was not uses properly but that is just letting your hate get in the way of seeing that that was indeed the case. He is not, nor was he ever, a top line center. But he was used as such. He should never have been used as a center for Eric Lindros. And he probably was not the player the Rangers needed, could really have used, or should have signed at that point in time where the team was. He needs to be on a good team, where is used against other team's top lines on a team with good depth, that is a winning team. A team much more like the Rangers are now then they ever were when he was here previously. Add in Renney's system and I think he would be a huge addition to this team — especially in the playoffs.
Again, I'm not saying it's the best way to go at it this offsesason, but I do think it's not a bad off the board thought.
When you put it like that, I actually would not mind despite what I said 2 seconds ago in another thread
View Public Profile
Gardner McKay's albums
Find More Posts by Gardner McKay