View Single Post
Old
06-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
It's a great article, and Brooks did a good job of covering for himself. I'm a little disheartened that he's calling for Bettman to fix, as though he didn't notice. This is a fairly transparent conspiracy... Crosby and Malkin are the best NHL fund-raiser since Lemieux and Jagr (AND Staal will hit stride soon, AND Espo is on the way, AND Letang, AND Gonchar, AND Whitney, AND Fleury >>> Barrasso). And I don't care if the officials have their own union, they work for BETTMAN, a businessman whose marketing savvy is far superior to his knowledge of the sport. Seems like the plan was for the Pens to win the cup. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Lidstrom and Osgood were supernatural.

Would the Penguins made the finals without help? Maybe, maybe not. How do we know? One good thing is that you've got tandems like Toews/Kane, Backstrom/Ovechkin, Kopitar/Frolov that are going to explode soon enough. Then there are guys like Lecavalier/St. Louis, Briere/Gagne, Spezza/Heatley who lost steam or were overshadowed last season. Even Richards/Morrow.

Malkin and Crosby will not be the NHL for long.
The two ways I'd fix the officiating is...

1. Hire European Referees and linesman and integrate them in to the league. With the Referees being watered down since the 2 Ref system was put into place this would help with the obvious manpower problems.

2. Have each game reviewed and Officials scored on a point system. The 10 or 15 lowest scoring Referees are fired or sent down to the AHL at the end of the season. I'd also give Referees a set number of allowed missed calls during the season. If they go over that number at any point during the season the official will be sent down to the AHL..

If a player is playing bad they are let go or sent down. The league should treat the officials like teams treat players..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote