View Single Post
Old
06-16-2008, 12:14 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
Tucker spent a little less then 75 minutes on the ice With Sundin at ES last season, relative to Avery spending spending about 310 min at ES with Jagr.
That gap is partially made up for by PP TOI, as Tucker played a larger role on the Leafs PP, but neither spent any time at all on the top unit with the respective teams top offensive weapons.

I'm not certain whether Tucker has entered into a decline phase of his career, or whether his sub-par first half performance was due to the injury he was playing with. I'm reasonably confident his stronger performance when healthy is a decent indicator that he's due to rebound next season but I can't see anything like a return to the near 30 goal output he was pulling before.

Regardless, I think it's extremely difficult to realistically argue that Tucker had superiour linemates to Avery last season.
Blake and Stajan are not comparable in skill level to Jagr/Gomez, and those are the players each had the most TOI with last season.
It's really hard to quantify what Avery does to make the Rangers have a better record when he's in the lineup. It's obviously not just his point production.

This thread was about Tucker replacing Avery. Tucker's older and there is no guarantee that his effect on the Rangers play would match Avery's, even if Tucker produced more points.