View Single Post
Old
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Every championship team has one or 2 areas that they are only average in...Detroit it was in goal. The Habs are average at center, but strong on the wings, strong on defense(could use a skilled #4 guy) and should be strong in nets once Price peaks.

I think Sundin would be a great fit on a few levels...1-he still has frontline skills and is hard to handle 1 on 1 2-his size blends well with out speedy forwards 3-he probably would want a 1-2 year deal which is prefect for our cap(vs Hossa 4-6 years) 4-he is a quality individual and very good leader 5-he adds depth at our least deep position(center)

That being said I would hope that Gainey and co have a plan B, C and D. I think adding another above average centerman should be a priority but there are not a ton of them out there on the UFA market and the trade options are either too expensive(Jokinen) or overpaid and soft(Marleau).
The point you bring up about the length a guy like Sundin will be looking for (1-2 years) over a guy like Hossa or Malone (probably 6+) is one of the most important IMO. I think this current team is very close and I don't think they are that far away.

As for backup plans, that could be tricky. I do however think Gainey has some tradeable assets to work with. Whether or not he would go for a big trade remains to be seen but acquiring a #2 center might be more realistic.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote