Thread: OT: Citi Field
View Single Post
Old
06-17-2008, 11:59 AM
xander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Not a Mets fan, but I love the stadium design.
I love the facade and the rotunda, but I don't like how the grandstands just seem to pop out of the brick structure below them. It has a bit too much of the new soldiers field 'spaceship landing on top of an old building look' to it.

And I hate the profile of the upper decks, but it's in line with all of the newer stadiums. I just hate that they sell the fans with: "there will be better site lines" when what they actually mean is: "there will be better sightlines for those in the expensive seats in the lower bowl, but those of you in the upper decks will have your seats pushed back 40 to 50 feet."

And, it would be nice if they actually built the stadium into a city block, rather than just trying to simulate the idea of asymmetry and uniqueness with random nooks and crannies in the outfield wall. Ebbets field was asymmetrical because it had to be, Citi's quirks feel like a gimmick. Then again, many of the new stadiums have gone this way, but they proved that you can do it properly with the new ballpark out in San Francisco.

Edit: I should emphasize that I am, on the whole, happy that they're building the new park, it will certainly be a major upgrade over shea, and there are some features that I really do like (the rotunda, the facade, the overhanging porch in right field), it's just far from ideal in my eyes. Then again, any stadium built on the same site as shea was going not going to be ideal. And I'm not terribly happy with the mets organization right now, and some of that comes out in the curmudgeonly nature of this post.

Last edited by xander: 06-17-2008 at 12:07 PM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote