View Single Post
Old
06-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Then nativehockey.com is wrong?
the best I can find so far (the past 10 minutes)

Quote:
"American Indians," "Native Americans," and "First Nations people" are synonyms. They all refer to the same people. "Indigenous people" is a broader term that refers to any culture that lived in a place first. So Native Americans are all indigenous people, but not all indigenous people are Native Americans. For example, native African cultures are also indigenous.

Q: Are Inuit/Eskimos Native American? What about Hawaiians? What about the Metis?
A: No. Like the Native Americans, these three groups are indigenous peoples of Canada and the United States. However, they have unique histories and cultures and consider themselves distinct from Native Americans. The Inuit are polar people who live in the far north of Canada, Alaska, and Greenland. (The word "Eskimo" is considered rude by many Inuit.) The Hawaiians are Polynesian people who are considered indigenous Americans for political reasons (the Hawaiian islands are very far from the North American mainland, but were annexed by the United States). The Metis are mixed-race people whose ancestors were primarily Cree Indians and French Canadians. They have developed a unique culture from these two influences.

The Native Americans, Metis, Inuit, and Hawaiians all face similar problems for their languages and cultures, but they consider themselves distinct peoples.
http://www.native-languages.org/kidfaq.htm#2

It comes down to when they were settled in the area I guess.

If you asked Jordin Tootoo a question about being a "native-american" I don't think he'd go Robidas on you, but it's not the PC terminology.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote