View Single Post
Old
06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
FruityPants3*

vCash: 500
Ahh, that makes sense!

Interesting article in the G&M if it hasn't been posted.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

Quote:
“In talking with people from Montreal, they thought Ryan was instrumental in getting that team to be more focused, more of a team and allowing younger players to fit into the lineup in a meaningful way.”

The two-week hiring process began when Gillis contacted Walter, 50, about conducting leadership workshops for the Canucks. Walter, a Lower Mainland native who won a Stanley Cup with the Canadiens in 1986, said he had NHL coaching opportunities in the past but did not want to leave his home town.

“I think leadership is a key component to any coach… and those are the things that I've spent the last part of my life studying,” Walter said. “There's a big learning curve, no doubt, but I love learning. That's what I do.”

Yesterday, Vigneault admitted that he had reservations about Walter when Gillis first recommended him. Walter has no professional coaching experience and no previous relationship with Vigneault.

But Vigneault said he felt comfortable with Walter, who will look after the forwards and the power play, after the duo spent a day together in Ottawa.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote