View Single Post
Old
06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckdaddy View Post
Thanks. I've been suspecting Minny for a while as a logical trading partner. The Wolves have apparently concluded that Gaborik will not resign and will leave as a free agent at the end of next season. Trading him for Ollie gives them the scoring center they need, who is signed for 2 years. It saves them $2.25mm in salary this year, which allows them to resign 35 year old Rolston etc. and continue winning.

The Panthers are tired of Ollie and have too many centers on the roster anyway (Stumpel,Weiss, McClean, Krepps), especially with Mattias expected to move up this season. They need a scoring winger in the worst way, especially a young stud who is a contemporary of Horton et al. They are probably willing to take the chance that they can re-sign Gaborik for next season, when they have a number of vet contracts coming off the books.
This would appear to be a win-win. My concern is that Marleau also fits Minny's needs and SJ would be greatly improved with Gaborik playing next to Thorton. But, it is hard to trade within the same conference. Besides, Ollie better fits their needs and has a cheaper contract.
I don't want Gaborik unless he signs long term. I also don't think JM will trade for Gaborik unless he is guaranteed to be a Panther for more then 1 season.