View Single Post
Old
06-19-2008, 11:13 AM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I can't say I'm with you on this point about Gomez, Fly. Sure, Jagr was eating up the first line minutes and getting mauled by the first pairings of the other team, but look at the numbers Gomez put up. Now look at who he was playing with. Dawes, Avery and Shannahan. Not exactly the high scoring winger he would probably have if Jagr was out of the picture.

If you bring back Jagr, you're not just bringing back a player, you're bringing back his style of play. Dubinsky is blossoming under Jagr, but he's learning to play a type of game that this team won't be using once Jagr is gone. So down the road when Jagr isn't here, we'll have a center playing the pass-pass-shoot European style, while the rest of the team is playing a NA dump and chase style.

Sure thats probably exaggerating it a bit, but you also have to take into account that we'll have to fill the opposing wing on the Dubi-Jagr line. Who goes there? Avery? What if he doesn't come back? Straka? Prucha? Do we spend the money for Gomez's sniper on a guy like Huselius, Demitra or Naslund?

Like I've said before, I'm not concerned with being competitive next season if it means taking the steps to make this team better down the line. What does a 2nd round knock out get you? A low draft-pick and a couple weeks of extra revenue from playoff ticket sales for the team. I'd rather try to build this team around Drury and Gomez, wind up in 20th place and have a top-10 pick than get knocked out in the 2nd round again. Thats two years now that team-Jagr has had a chance to push us beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs. Obviously it isn't working. Is two more years of the same thing really going to make a difference? Is a puck moving d-man really going to put us over the top? I doubt it.
what's wrong w/ having different lines playing different styles. detroit has two puck possession lines and two dump and chase lines. Same w/ Pittsburgh. Seems to be working fine for them.

In fact i would rather have two lines playing the pass-pass-shoot style and the other two playing the dump-chase style to keep mixing up defenses, and not let your own offenses become stagnant.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote