Thread: Chipchura
View Single Post
Old
05-31-2004, 04:59 PM
free0717

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather
Ah.. Manny again. Thing about Manny is, he was never on a scoring line in Guelph. The fact he got near PPG totals despite that says he DOES have some talent, or did at that level. Manny was their shutdown guy, I remember him absolutely destroying Thornton one game. Another overlooked thing is a lot of big junior scorers do it as overagers... Garth Murray for instance barely got a PPG in his last year of junior eligibility. I truly believe Manny would have developd into a very nice player if we had just left him alone and develop. Instead he was brought to the circus, and more than a few times, not even trained. I have a friend who worked at their Rye camp and he told me they'd have Manny doing skating drills and faceoffs over and over but never working on his puck skills or shooting -- no wonder it seemed he had hands of stone. He's one of the more criminally screwed over prospects I've seen. He came out as an 18 year old at 6-2 210 and an incredible skater. The fact we couldn't even make him into a passable checker says a lot more about the org than him.
Neil Smith put him in the NHL way to fast. He needed two more junior years and a full time year in the minors minimum. He is now starting and only starting to be a good NHL player.