Old
06-20-2008, 09:04 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrage View Post
How's this for love?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06202008...co__116325.htm

Glen Sather has told agents representing more than one of the Rangers New York Rangers ' five significant impending unrestricted free agents that he has no intention of signing any of them prior to July 1, The Post has learned.
Chris Drury
Seems to me like there is a master plan at work. I don't care what happens, as long as theres a PLAN behind it that makes sense. If its going in the direction i think it is, then im happy with it.

Hopefully they dont hinge it around certain circumstances. Ie: Letting Jagr go because they want to free up cash for the big winger and Campbell. You can find yourself high and dry if you miscalculate with something like that. But I'm not all that surprised, or upset that he's not talking to the Rangers FA's before July 1st.

We all know what Avery brings to the table, and thats really the only guy I would feel concerned about losing to be totally honest. The fact that they are not negotiating while Avery is STILL around the city is only slightly alarming to say the least and i'll tell you why-

The arbitration process last year went terribly wrong because Sean opened his mouth (surprise there). Maybe Sather and the Rangers think its best for him to go into free agency rather than string out a negotiation they KNOW wont go anywhere. Plus, has the thought ever crossed your mind that the Rangers DON'T want Avery around?? Despite what he brings to the team from a fans point of view, he might not be the type of guy they want behind the scenes.

Let's not forget, the Rangers are trying to cultivate a winning and professional attitude with a lot of young talent. Not speaking to reporters, fighting with your teammates, spraying water on fans and flipping off television crews might not be in their plans moving forward. I would give the Rangers the benefit of the doubt with this scenario only because we all know how selfish a guy like Avery is. Effective on the ice or not. With the possibility of the calming father-like figure of Shanahan absent next season, and a complacent long-term deal in his pocket, Avery could go sour.

Let's not forget he had a lot of nagging injuries as well, and they have the inside prospective information on that from the doctors. It seems to me, the negatives outweigh the positives. As much as you don't want to tear apart half the team with the losses of Jagr, Avery, Shanahan, Straka, Rozy, Malik, (wish we could throw Hollweg in here too) etc... If you are destined to lose 3 or 4 of these guys, you might as well bring in pieces the compliment Gomez, Drury and Lundqvist now, rather than string this "era" on.

To me that should be the plan.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote