View Single Post
Old
06-21-2008, 06:26 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
First of all, Bourret has played TWO professional seasons. His first season (2006-2007) was split between the Chicago Wolves and the Wolfpack. You folks need to look closer when you scan the stat page.

Bourret certainly has issues. As I've said here many times before, they're primarily mental. Yes, his season was injury-plagued, and that was no fault of his own. But the Rangers didn't ship him out to Pheonix today because he didn't produce. He proved in the first half season he played in Hartford and again this year in the playoffs that he could produce. The problem was he turned around and came to camp unprepared (undertrained, overtrained, wrongly-trained, whatever you want to call it) and after that got him quickly demoted to Hartford he proceeded to sulk through his first month and a half in Hartford. By the time it seemed he might have pulled his head out of his butt, the string of injuries had begun. Personally, I would have liked to have seen him get another year to prove himself. Two pro seasons is definitely not enough time to rule a player a bust, IMHO. Just look at how much time they're giving Huge.

But on the other hand, I can't really argue against the trade either. The Rangers have made it a priority to draft and acquire character players, and there is absolutely nothing to suggest Bourret fits that profile. Based on things I've read and heard that are completely and totally unsubstantiated, it seemed he was more keen on blaming the coaching staff for his failures than looking in a mirror. So when the opportunity arose they flipped him for a 3rd round pick. If in three years it turns out Kundratek never sets foot on North American soil, and Bourret goes on to become a top 6 forward, maybe I'll be upset. Right now, I'm having trouble caring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I'm not terribly pissed about the trade, but I would have rather him ship off Dupont or someone.
Absolutely not! All everyone here does is piss and moan about how the Rangers have nothing but small, undersized wingers, and you want to give up on a kid with size that had a good (no, not great) rookie pro season and showed the ability to put points up when paired with the right partners, on top of being able play both ends of the ice, kill penalties, and throw his weight around?

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote