View Single Post
Old
06-21-2008, 08:40 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
You know, at first I agreed with you but then I'm reading the rest of the thread and Drury comes up... seems like a parallel to me. I'm thinking, well we signed Drury because we needed 2 top 6 centers. How were they supposed to know we'd have a glut at center because you can't rely on prospects... especially newly drafted ones. But we did have Anisimov and Dubinsky in the system, not exactly newly drafted kids so they could have planned better. Anyway, you're right about the 2 guys we drafted this weekend, but you're not factoring in Sanguinetti.

He might be a season or 2 away, but that would still mean that Redden and Bobby are teammates for 3 seasons.

Anyway, this stuff about Hossa, I think this and this is always my mantra: You saves moves like this for when you're on the cusp. We're not on the cusp with Dawes, Callahan and Prucha as our current top 6 wings... and trust me, that won't be far off of what we'll have is they sign Hossa. You can't afford any other options. You'll have Korpikoski and Sjostrom on the 3rd with some mock up of Orr, Hollweg and Moore on the 4th.

You're not on the cusp with Staal on your first pairing as a 2nd year player, not a knock on him but its a reality that we're not cup material if he's our best defenseman with 1 year under his belt. You're not on the cusp with Girardi, Tyutin and probably Pock and a rookie filling out 4 of your 7 positions, Staal 1 more and 2 very cheap FAs because that's all you can afford with Hossa, Drury and Gomez getting the contracts they have.

So this Hossa moves premature. Save that kind of move for when Cally, Dawes, Staal, Girardi, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Cheripanov, Sanguinetti and whoever are ready, that's your core. Your core dictates when the team is ready, not a UFA here and there, not a deadline trade. You move at the pace of the core. Even with Hossa here for 5 years, he's already peaked when these guys are ready. He's not the monster you need him to be in 4 or 5 years. It's premature.

That's a great post.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote