View Single Post
Old
06-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by borro
Kolzig has won a Vezina. Looking at what he has played behind, I think he would be twice as good with Ottawa's defense. Do I see Kolzig's salary as a downside, yes. The Caps aren't really looking to trade him at this point. With a 20M payroll, they are one of the few teams who could afford to keep him. I could see Ottawa waiting until the trade deadline, but might want Kolzig for the whole year. A second round and a prospect (Vermette etc) is not going to move Washington to give up any chance of being good. A Volchenkov and a 1st would. Both would be pieces to rebuild by. I'm not arguing its not a steep price, just one that would get the Caps attention. I don't see anyone else out there that could be acquired without giving up too much. If a team wants to meet in the middle, I would consider it.

As far as embarrasing myself, I have given reasons why I feel what I feel. People don't have to love them. I don't think the difference is as huge as some do. You want quality and the chance for a Cup, you suck it up.
The fact that Kolzig won a Vezina is pretty much irrelevant. He hasn't won a cup, Olympic Gold, etc. He hasn't demonstrated that he is a clutch netminder at all. In fact, he hasn't been all that good in recent years. When was the last time he was on an all star (not played in all star game, was named a first or second team all star)?

Turek was the runner up to Kolzig (by only a few points, in fact) that year. Do you think Turek has that kind of trade value? CuJo has an even more impressive resume that either netmidner - how much would he return in a trade?

And, btw, exactly what makes you think Kolzig could take Otttawa to the Cup? Outside of 1997, he hasn't got much playoff experience. Its not like he is some kind of playoff warrior, like a Patrick Roy.

I'm not trying to flame your here, Borro. You are one of the true gentlemen on this board. But, I think you are being more than a little unrealistic.

And, yeah, that package would get the Caps attention. I think Lalime and a 3rd rounder would also get the Caps attention though, give the $ issues.