View Single Post
Old
06-22-2008, 12:26 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
This is a good post. Personally, I don't see this team being a serious cup contender for a at least 2 years. I don't think Hossa is the answer. The best move is to start putting pieces in place for the players like Anisimov, Cherepanov and Sanguinetti. Guys who will almost surely be on this team in the next 2 years.

I think the right move is to bring in a d-man like Redden and give the young defensemen we have a real leader on the blue line. Perhaps beyond that, a sniper for Gomez isn't in the cards this summer. A trade for a power-forward type like Perry or Bernier might fill a hole with the potential loss of Avery and at least provide some secondary scoring until Cherepanov comes over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
You know, at first I agreed with you but then I'm reading the rest of the thread and Drury comes up... seems like a parallel to me. I'm thinking, well we signed Drury because we needed 2 top 6 centers. How were they supposed to know we'd have a glut at center because you can't rely on prospects... especially newly drafted ones. But we did have Anisimov and Dubinsky in the system, not exactly newly drafted kids so they could have planned better. Anyway, you're right about the 2 guys we drafted this weekend, but you're not factoring in Sanguinetti.

He might be a season or 2 away, but that would still mean that Redden and Bobby are teammates for 3 seasons.

Anyway, this stuff about Hossa, I think this and this is always my mantra: You saves moves like this for when you're on the cusp. We're not on the cusp with Dawes, Callahan and Prucha as our current top 6 wings... and trust me, that won't be far off of what we'll have is they sign Hossa. You can't afford any other options. You'll have Korpikoski and Sjostrom on the 3rd with some mock up of Orr, Hollweg and Moore on the 4th.

You're not on the cusp with Staal on your first pairing as a 2nd year player, not a knock on him but its a reality that we're not cup material if he's our best defenseman with 1 year under his belt. You're not on the cusp with Girardi, Tyutin and probably Pock and a rookie filling out 4 of your 7 positions, Staal 1 more and 2 very cheap FAs because that's all you can afford with Hossa, Drury and Gomez getting the contracts they have.

So this Hossa moves premature. Save that kind of move for when Cally, Dawes, Staal, Girardi, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Cheripanov, Sanguinetti and whoever are ready, that's your core. Your core dictates when the team is ready, not a UFA here and there, not a deadline trade. You move at the pace of the core. Even with Hossa here for 5 years, he's already peaked when these guys are ready. He's not the monster you need him to be in 4 or 5 years. It's premature.
VERY well put. First of all, we're not going to win the cup next year with or without Hossa. Second of all, he's not the answer. He's not THE GUY. He's a great #2 piece but he isn't the guy you build a franchise around.

The problem is, we already have two guys like that in Gomez and Drury which is why we can't afford to have another one, especially at the price it would cost to obtain a real franchise player, like Kovalchuk two years down the road when our team is likely going to be a lot closer to contending then it is now.

That's why, in my opinion, you sign Jagr for one year, hopefully, but even two years would be ok, you also sign Avery to a three or four year deal to 3.25 mill (I think he would take that to stay here), but you don't bring back Shanny or Straka.

You sign Redden and re-sign Mara, but don't bring back Rozy or Malik. You leave a few spots open for youngsters next season, and you continue to develop your young players, your core, so that two years down the line, when Jagr is gone for good and your youth is ready to step up, you bring in a Kovalchuk to turn yourself into a real contender.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote