View Single Post
Old
06-22-2008, 07:01 PM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
I think Tawnos is spot on in his analysis.
The Rangers are in a bind on D for next year. If you let Malik, Roszival, and Mara go, and make a trade that includes Tyutin (for the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would want to do that), who exactly is going to play D next year? Staal, Girardi, Backman (ugh), and who else? Strudwick is a #7 at best, Baranka is gone, none of the other guys at Hartford are not ready. Would Campbell be overpaid? Absolutely, but it is the market we are working in.
I know one thing, I wouldn't touch Orpik. His value is high because of the advantageous situation he was in. Pay him big bucks, give him more responsibility on a lesser team, and he would revert to form and by mid season, the Garden faithful would be on him.
We're not going to spend the bulk of our available cap space on a big name free agent forward, our most pressing need, because there aren't any available. I don't want Hossa. Malone is the type of player we need size wise (another glaring weakness of this team), but like Orpik, his stats and value were inflated by who he is surrounded with. Would I sign him? Yeah, but he would be overpaid. If you could somewhow guarantee the Ralston would play at the level he did the last few years, he would be perfect. But the guy is at the stage where his skills will deteriorate and we would be locked in to a long term deal that would bring down the team. Ryder? I guess for a reasonable amount of money. Satan? No. Cheechoo...love his play but he is injury prone and not worth what he is making. Unless some big, big name shakes loose (Gaborik, Kovalchuk, etc), we need forwards. Right now Nigel Dawes (who I really like) is our #1 winger!
If we are going to let Rosy go, we must replace him with a quality D man. Thats an imperative. I know he had an inconsistent and disappointing 2nd half of the year, but I think he is underappreciated and valued.
I don't know what the next 10 days are going to bring. There is much uncertainty about this team and its makeup. I think Campbell brings a lot to the table. Just as the Rangers often didn't seem to have a #1 line last year (was it the one with Gomez, Jagr, Drury?), they often didn't seem to have a #1 D pairing. In our system Campbell would be fine and I have no problem signing him. No matter what we do, we are not an elite team next year. It will be a battle to make the playoffs with many other strong teams and I expect us to be in about the same position as this year.
Though things are unsettled, its kind of exciting. This is what makes being a fan interesting. So many questions, so little time....

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote