View Single Post
Old
06-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Thanks. That does sound a lot like Hammer. I was really hoping for someone who would play the body effectively because that's something we need both short-term and long-term in our defense pipeline. He's gonna have to really make himself stand out with all the defensemen we have back there, just like Josi. Unless, of course, Poile starts wheeling and dealing.
Well I can tell you that Seth Appert (RPI's head coach) does encourage his defensemen to do two things when the opportunity is there: play the body and get involved offensively. I think in Jeff's case, it probably has more to do with being comfortable with the tempo of the college game. When I saw him at Moorhead HS prior to coming to RPI, he threw the body around pretty good. So I expect to see him more physical this coming season, but again he's not going to become a big time penalty minutes leader. He certainly doesn't have a problem getting offensively involved, but because he is committed to developing his defensive zone coverage, his offensive numbers may suffer a bit. Frankly, I don't see that as being a negative because when he is ready to make the jump to the pro level, I think being more well-rounded will give the Preds a better defenseman in the end. That's just my opinion.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote