View Single Post
Old
06-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
2 things about Backman:

- If Malik, Rozsival, Mara and Strudwick are definitely not coming back, Sather needs to consider whether he needs Backman more than he needs to find someone to fill yet another hole back there.

- As SOS brings up, Rozsival's first season with NYR wasn't memorbable. In 2 short years, Renney's been able to turn him a damn serviceable d-man and the team's top TOI player. Backman seems to get the same treatment as 1st year Rozsvial, occasional deserved, but at the same time, you also see glimmers a quality player in his game. I think he's someone who could come back and earn that paycheck next season.
I think Rozsival played better in his first year here then last year....His partner that season (Malik) also played above what was expected of him..

I don't see anythink in Backman and I'd be surprised if he was in the teams plans next season. I think he showed at times that he was a decent defenseman but he also showed at times that he well sucked..

Again if we factor in the 2.3M for Backman and 1.6M for Prucha that's dead salary cap space that can be used to fit real needs on the roster. I'd rather have a journeyman hold the fort next year until either Potter or perhaps maybe (if everything breaks right with his development) Sanguinetti is ready to play...maybe we can throw sauers name in there too at some point next season..

Also if we sign Campbell and both him and Staal end up playing 25 minutes a night that's going to make the last pairing more of a non issue..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote