View Single Post
Old
06-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Davisian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
has avery spent more then a few games on third line as a ranger?

what do you consider a large contract?

would an extra $500k a year make a huge difference considering we already have dead space on the roster in backman and prucha?

the fact remains (and this isn't a shot at you) if avery played for the stars (for example) and was a free agent this whole board (EXCEPT the posters who wanted hollweg out of the league for his hit in montreal) would want avery on the team...the rangers would probably be the first in line to give him what he wants...

not signing avery could be the single biggest mistake of sathers tenure here...

Going point by point;

Avery playing on the 2nd line, doesn't mean he's not a "third" line player.. Skills wise, IMO, he's a very good 3rd liner or a passable 2nd liner.

Anything over 3.5 is too expensive for him. But the biggest thing to me would be the length of the contract. I do not want them tied long term to a wild card.

Prucha's and Backman's contracts have nothing to do with Avery's. One overpaid guy (or two) does not mean another should be added. And yes, $500K does mean something as it all adds up.

If Avery played for someone else, I would absolutely have the same opinion. Talented, mean ******* that the Rangers could use, but not the kind of skills that deserves the big scratch and the kind of personality that makes a long term contract dangerous.

Not signing Avery very well could be a mistake for the Rangers next season, but to me, signing him for too much and too long would be the far bigger mistake that would hurt much longer.

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote